Friday, August 12, 2011

Oubliette

ou·bli·ette

noun
a secret dungeon with an opening only in the ceiling, as in certain old castles
 
What an apt word!
 
Thanks to the ladies at Kniterary and Knit Night, I no longer have a Maze gone terribly wrong, I have an Oubliette. 
 
Oubliette! What a lovely word!  Everything sounds better in French, or with a British accent.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Leaving Well Enough Alone

There are times you should just move on!

While laying out "the maze" I noticed there were a few sections that were enclosed, as in, you can't get to those lines, and if you were air lifted into those sections you couldn't get out. I was puzzled, referred to the diagram I had printed from the pattern, I had followed it meticulously. I moved on. 

Geri faved the maze blanket and then faved Wooly Thoughts original.  Side by side they looked different...but why?  I checked the original.

OMG....I had handed the 4 triangles to Kate, asked her to glue them together (totally unnecessary, now that I look at it, because there is a one piece complete drawing in the instructions!!!!).  She dutifully glued, and I dutifully knit, and for 103,584 stitches and countless views of the diagram I never asked myself about this. Not once.

The fact is, the 4 triangles could have been glued together in 6 possible ways.  Hmmm, I wonder what they each look like. But I digress.

Had I not been so terribly clever and knit the blanket all in one piece, I could simply unseam, rearrange and reseam. 

I will QA any future gluing. 

I am dizzy.

I will not think of this, I will move on. It is not perfect, it is unique. Man, is it ever unique!

Heaven help anyone who is airlifted onto this blanket.

I could steek it and cut it and sew it back together. Now that is really crazy!

On too socks and other things.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Maze is Finished, Birdhouses Stitched, Sampler of Teas Begun

The Maze is finished...the only thing I would have done differently is to work the last green and last black in the round. I decided to sew the seam rather than work in the round so that I could knit every row (purling over 1200 stitches seemed way too painful), but I should have explored a few more options and avoided that final tiny, not quite perfect seam.  But, it is finished, 23 days ahead of schedule. The "princess" declared "that's a nice blanket", and assumed ownership as soon as photos were taken over at Kniterary today.


 Cleo couldn't wait to try it out (she failed at the maze (she's no mouse), but she was quite successful at sleeping).

And now I am on to other things. I have photos of the Seasonal Birdhouses, finished a few weeks ago, ready for final finishing, but the blanket took precedence, so I think I will block it tomorrow and prepare for the edge.  Meanwhile, I started Sampler of Teas by Lisa Cowell. It is coming along nicely. The letters should be finished tomorrow, and perhaps even some of the teapots stitched.